Sunday, August 03, 2008

San Diego- Some Observations

While walking or shopping in San Diego, Claire and I noticed a few things that Americans do differently to the Irish.

  • Pharmacies not only sell all the stuff our chemist sells, but also groceries and, wait for it... alcohol!! Seriously. A full section devoted to it. Weird!
  • You can continue driving through a red light as long as you are turning right, and the way is clear.
  • The bus and tram system is spotlessly clean! No-one litters or defaces the seats. Nice. And they are generally bang on time. Also, the tram system is called trolleys here.
  • Starbucks coffee is yummy, but their tea is not.
  • While most "Irish" pubs are hilarious, The Field on 5th Street is actually ok! It has a great "Ulster Breakfast", which consists of egg, scrambled or fried, rashers, sausage, pudding, roaster potato, Heinz beans and tomato, though I asked for no tomato. And it has ok tea as well! Not bad.
  • San Diego people love their sushi. I wish Cork people did as well, but I understand the difference between fresh caught fish in beautiful Mission Bay, and fresh caught fish in Cork harbor. Euck!
  • Toilet bowels are full of water and empty when you flush.
  • They use a weird powder called creamer in tea and coffee instead of milk far too often!!
  • They put all sorts of wierd stuff on pretzles, including mustard!!
Americans. An odd but nice bunch.

2 comments:

Cian said...

"San Diego people love their sushi. I wish Cork people did as well, but I understand the difference between fresh caught fish in beautiful Mission Bay, and fresh caught fish in Cork harbor. Euck!"

Euck? Seriously? The fish in Ireland is amazing, been in the english market recently? Seriously, the fish at home is better than the stuff here, mainly becuase at home, a reputable restaurant will quite likely serve you fresh fish, like off the pier that day. Here, it seems like the fish has sat around for a while or something, or maybe they just over cook it (it tends to be tough). Maybe it's because I tend to go for salt water fish, the salmon may be better.

I don't get the sushi thing, what's the attraction? I've had some sushi (not a lot) and I can't say it blew me away. I liked the salmon sashimi, I doubt I'll have a craving for it any day soon.

Cian said...

Though I agree, I wouldn't eat anything fished out of Cork harbour, fortunately I don't think any fish actually comes from there.